Friday, January 22, 2010

Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead


It’s a big novel. Atleast for me. The maximum pages I am accustomed of range from 300-400 with a font size of 11. The Fountainhead is a book of 700 pages and with a font size of 8, and yes, it is in its centennial edition. I heard about this book in a radio show and learnt that it is a classic written in 1943. I was getting used to reading novels and immediately searched for the book. Bought it in August in a book fair, but didn’t read it. My brother saw the book and laughed impudently. Once my semester exams were over, I started to read the book all over again and made it my forte to complete the book. It took me 44 hours divided in 12 days to complete the book.
I started to read the book and found it complex enough. I understand philosophies much easily and finely than any other counterpart of my age. But Ayn Rand’s philosophy took time to apprehend. It deals with the sheer complexities of human being, the urge of power, the urge to be the greatest, rule the world. And if you think, I mean literally, think again.
Ayn Rand dealt with the dark emotions of the human being. She has given the perfect description of every character. She has introduced so petite twists in the tale that they are unimaginative although evident. I found it difficult sometimes to keep up with the book, because even if different, Ayn Rand is bit too verbose. But I think that’s because she wanted to present her thoughts in detail. I think I am a little young to understand all the emotions, because I have never surfaced any of them myself, but I am sure I will read the book some years later, and I am sure it will be more than just abstruse at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments

Classifieds