Thursday, February 12, 2009

The 2-Minute Wish



Kriiiiiiiiiiing kriiiiiiing…… Kriiiiiiiiiiiiing kriiiiiiing………
“Hello”
“Is Prateek there?”
“Speaking”
“What happened to your voice?”
“Weather changes.”
“Anyway, Happy Birthday man”
“Thanx”

I never wished my friend like that because I always call on the mobile which has the maximum chances to reach its owner. And like anybody, I don’t start with the wish on the first place. But it is always a fun to call right when the clock strikes midnight. And there is also a point of exuberance when in a crowd you know that you were the first person to get connected with your friend on his birthday, as if that is the only call on which your friendship stands.
The Birthdays are always special. This is the only day no one gets on you, everyone behaves nicely with you. Even your parents don’t get angry on you. So, in short that’s the only day you can probably do whatever you want, whenever you want.
The first call is always special. I remember once I called my friend 15 minutes after midnight, and the very first thing he said after thanks was, “why so late?” I was least expecting this but I managed to explain him my forgetting nature. He didn’t say anything but I again said sorry that day we met. Then he told me that he was even more furious over another friend of my group because he not only forgot but later he just messaged and didn’t call. So, my friend remarked this as “cheap”.
On birthdays, if you don’t call just at midnight, it is very difficult to connect later as the lines go busy. So, you won’t get the line free after 30 minutes or so. I get so happy when my ring reaches within few minutes of 12 AM as if I have got the line for “Kaun Banega Crorepati” (“Who wants to be a millionaire”) contest quiz. And the same happens when it is your birthday. Many friends and relative calling at the same second, some getting connected, others are waiting. Many a times, I can’t listen what the other end is talking about except the wish because the call is constantly interrupted with beeps of the call waiting. Moreover at midnight, my mother, who is not used to such type of practices and is in sound sleep, gets annoyed by such rings. She said, “What’s the matter with your friends calling at midnight? Don’t they sleep?” I asked her to sleep saying that it is my birthday, so my cell is expected to receive such calls. I didn’t tell her that in college, sleeping at midnight is termed as ill-practice.
Calling and receiving birthday wishes in midnight is always a fun. But I ensure that the wish lasts for maximum two minutes, thinking of the endless callers waiting for their call get connected. Atleast they must also know that they are the pretty second to call.

2 comments:

  1. personally, i am against this whole thing of callin ppl up at 12. take ur time. i mean, i've also got just 1 mouth. how many ppl cud i possibly talk to at the same time, even if they're in conference!!
    PS : it was a KBC hotline till like 2 am... :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. U have to do this, only this day you know that you are quite famous :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments

Classifieds