Monday, February 9, 2009

Mathematics vs.


It is the most dreaded subject of our generation and will be the most in the coming years. But it never haunted me in my life. I always loved to solve each and every question of the subject and dreaded almost every existing subject except that, specially literature. I have always been the poorest in literature, and you can understand if you have read my first blog. And Hindi was the worst. I know its not good to disrespect my national language, and with full respect, the Ka, Kha, Ga… language scared the hell out of me. And in a way, it is normal as I am a Bengali, so I am not used to this type of language in my home.
I am a teacher. I teach students. It is a good time pass, a good pocket money and the foremost, it gives me a lot of satisfaction when I spread my learnings to someone. But I also get the most angry when someone says that Mathematics is the most worst subject of the education. Till today, I have met only enumerable students who experience the same passion as I do when I get a new question of Maths. I think that Mathematics is the most easiest because all it requires is to remember the 10 numbers and the simplest sign, + and -, nothing more. Even the basic English has 26 alphabets and god knows how many in Hindi.
Everything in Maths started with just these few numbers and the two basic signs. And the reason it is easy is that it is constant, never increasing like Literature. I mean to say, every day there are numerous words getting invented in English, all more or less similar to the main word. And still it is not stopping to increase its word-list. I was reading a book for English Vocabulary, and I had a word list of 2500 words, starting with High Frequency words, Medium Frequency words, and Low Frequency words. As I went through all the words summing up the count, I saw some more words waiting for me. And it included all the words of other languages adapted by English and it included Spanish, French, German, and Yiddish. The last one of which I am still unaware of. In short, it is a never ending affair.
But Maths has an ending. It has a very limited use, not extendable like any other subject. It is required just to the extent till science requires it. And I am saying this statement because in higher classes, just like me, you have no subject like Mathematics. It is only limited to class 14th(12+2). And by that stage, you learn almost all the mathematical tools and concepts.
And after I have discussed this with many of my students and watching them attempt easy problems and getting headache, I realized that most of the students dislike it because it needs certain kind of efforts from your side with zero mugging up. A person can only memorize the formula of a question but after that, Mathematics is purely about your skills of understanding. And a Mathematics question can’t be solved by just watching the question, until you are Albert Einstein or Rohit of Koi Mil Gaya(remember the 10th grade question he solved watching, although I also solved it in my mind after 4 years). You need to write and make an effort to solve it, use your pen and apply it on your page to solve a question without thinking whether it is heading on the right road.
So, any of you students who are still going to face the Maths paper, make an effort from your side to solve the problem without thinking whether you will correctly do it or not. Because, when you are practicing it, in your home or in you class, there is always a scope of redoing it. And my teacher once rightly said, “Even if you solve a question after the 100th attempt, you are on the more profitable side than the person solving on the 1st attempt, because now you know 99 ways of How to not solve it”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments

Classifieds